Chamomile tea is one of the most well-known teas in the world and has been enjoyed for centuries by many different civilisations. Made from the flowers of the Asteraceae plant, it has a subtle flavor and is used to help with all kinds of symptoms ranging from the common cold through to indigestion. However, drinking chamomile tea is best known for promoting calmness and relaxation, helping to reduce stress and anxiety and helping the drinker get to sleep. There are also anti inflammatory benefits to drinking high-quality chamomile.
Like many other herbal teas, chamomile comes in many different forms, ranging from affordable tea bags through to loose-leaf organic chamomile flowers and expert blends. And, because camomile is caffeine-free it’s the perfect drink to have before bed to calm your mind and body. As you might imagine, there are many different options to choose from, so we’ve put together our list of the best camomile tea options you can get today.
The health benefits of chamomile tea
As a versatile herbal tea drink, pure chamomile has a number of health benefits which can be enjoyed every day.
- Headache relief – Chamomile tea contains several natural compounds that can help relieve the pain from headaches and relax the nervous system.
- Better sleep – Pure chamomile tea is often recommended for people with sleep issues and has been proven to help drinkers with its calming properties.
- Stronger immunity – This herbal tea also contains many antioxidants and anti inflammatory properties that can help support the body’s immunity and ability to fight infections.
- Blood sugar control and digestion – By regularly drinking chamomile tea, you can support a healthy digestive system and regulation of blood sugar.
- Anxiety and stress – With its calming effects, comforting chamomile tea is a popular herbal solution that helps to relax the mind and reduce stress and anxiety.
The different types of chamomile tea
Often regarded as one of the best chamomile tea varieties, the Egyptian chamomile flowers are native to the valley that runs alongside the River Nile. Egyptian chamomile tea offers a deep and earthy flavor with fruity tones to balance, resulting in a taste that’s subtle, sweet and suitable for most palettes.
Egyptian chamomile flower tea leaves taste different from other types of chamomile tea because of the environmental conditions and temperatures that affect them. The rich soil of the Nile also contributes to the overall flavor and makes Egyptian chamomile tea more full-bodied and smooth. Many of the best chamomile tea brands source their herbal teas from Egypt.
known as Matricaria chamomill,. German chamomile is also referred to as Italian chamomile, Hungarian chamomile or even wild chamomile.
As one of the best chamomile tea types, it has a sweet flavor that gently soothes without any bitterness. Although German chamomile plants are generally native to Western Europe, they are also cultivated in Australia, North American and Asia, growing up to two feet high in strong sun.
German chamomile flowers contain higher levels of soothing chemical compounds than other types, making them famous for their and calming effects. German chamomile tea is often combined with herbs and green tea to boost its flavor, which may be a little weak for some. If you prefer a stronger taste, Roman chamomile is the best choice for you.
Roman chamomile goes by the scientific name of Chamaemelum nobile. These particular chamomile flowers have a white appearance that produce a stronger and more bitter taste than German chamomile flowers. The best chamomile tea brands that use Roman flowers usually blend the raw tea with herbs or other chamomile varieties to balance out the bitterness.
Choosing the best chamomile tea
While it’s hard to go wrong with choosing the best chamomile tea for you, there are a lot of options out there. The good news is, that chamomile tea is typically quite inexpensive and has a softer flavor than other herbal teas. When choosing your tea, here are a few things to think about:
This is more about how the chamomile tea is cultivated, rather than the variety or the region. Of course, the price you pay will indicate the quality, but look out for organic options as these will guarantee that the chamomile tea is organic and natural, which is always best.
Easy of brewing
This depends on how you prefer to make your tea. Some people like the convenience of using tea bags as they make minimal mess and are the easiest methods, while others like the ritual of using loose-leaf varieties. This is ultimately a personal choice, as the taste differences between the best tea bags and loose-leaf teas will be minimal.
Flavor and intensity
Generally, teas that are more mass-produced will have a less intense flavor, while the best chamomile teas that are natural and organic will have a strong taste. If you prefer a softer taste in your herbal tea, make sure to read the reviews from other drinkers, as well as details from the producers themselves on the packaging.
Loose leaf chamomile tea usually comes in larger batches, but if this is your first time buying chamomile tea, try to go for small amounts to make sure that you find the kind you like the best. Tea bags are usually a good idea as they come in small batches. Once you find the right balance of flavor and price, you’ll be able to buy your favorite chamomile teas with more confidence.
Different chamomile tea brands will have different priorities, but you won’t have to look far to find a herbal brand that uses sustainable production means and packaging. This might mean that the prices will be a little higher, but if the environment is important to you, it’ll be worth it.
Our list of the best chamomile teas
So, now that you know a little more about chamomile teas, it’s time to get to our list. Put the kettle on, and dive in!
Here they are at a glance:
|Name and link||Taste||Image||Price (Approx.)||One-line review||Best for:|
|Traditional Medicinals Organic Chamomile Herbal Leaf Tea||Fragrant and floral with honey notes||$32 for 6 boxes of 16 tea bags.||Best quality to price ratio, and with 96 tea bags, it’ll last you.||Lovers of chamomile and newcomers alike!|
|Celestial Seasonings Chamomile Herbal Tea||Aromatic and floral||$14 for 6 boxes of 20 tea bags.||A great price for a great tea, made with sustainable materials.||Cupboard-stockers and fans of a great bargain.|
|Tazo Tea Bags – Relaxing Chamomile Tea||A complex and deep blend of herbs and chamomile||$30 for 6 boxes of 20 tea bags||A great-tasting tea with flavors of chamomile and hibiscus tea with rose petals, peppermint, and other herbs.||For people who want a little more zing in their cup of chamomile.|
|Yogi Soothing Caramel Bedtime Tea||Smooth, sweet and soothing||$5 for 16 tea bags||Chamomile Flower, Skullcap and L-Theanine formulated to help calm tor a good night’s sleep.||People looking for a tea to help them relax and enjoy better rest.|
|The Tea Company Whole Dried Pure Chamomile Flowers||Fragrant, earthy and natural||$15 for a 4oz bag||One of the best and most affordable natural loose-leaf teas.||Those who want something natural, organic and loose-leaf.|
|Twinings Herbal Tea With Chamomile Honey and Vanilla||Sweet and smooth||$4 for 20 tea bags||A soft and relaxing flavor, very affordable and easy to drink.||Herbal tea drinkers who like something a little sweeter.|
Our overall winner
If you’re looking for an all-round chamomile tea, this is the choice for you. Made of 100% organic chamomile flowers and naturally caffeine-free, this bumper-pack contains 6 packs of 16 tea bags which will last you a long time. It’s also popular amongst consumers and has lots of positive online reviews, so if this is your first time buying pure chamomile, you can’t go wrong.
At a glance
- Pack of 6 boxes with 16 sealed chamomile tea bags in each.
- Floral and fragrant organic chamomile tea with sweet notes of honey.
- Individually wrapped tea bags for freshness.
- Organic chamomile flower tea with calming properties for better sleep.
Our favourite budget choice
Budget doesn’t always have to mean low-quality, as we have seen from affordable tea brand, Celestial Seasonings. With a medium strength and intensity, it’s a great tea for beginners or seasoned drinkers alike because of its low price and generous offering of 20 tea bags. Celestial Seasonings comes in a recycled box, which is a bonus for the environmentally-minded.
At a glance
- Pack of 6 boxes with 20 sealed tea bags in each.
- Calming tea for sleep and relaxation, with an aromatic, floral flavor.
- Pure chamomile tea that is caffeine-free.
- No artificial flavors, colors or artificial preservatives.
- A very good price for a good product.
Our favourite calming choice – Tazo Tea Bags
- RELAXING TEA: Tazo Calm Chamomile Tea Bags provide a sip of relaxation at the...
- SOOTHING BLEND: This Chamomile Tea is a soothing blend of chamomile and hibiscus...
- NIGHTTIME CALM: These unsweetened tea bags are caffeine-free, making it the...
- EASY TO BREW: Add one Tazo caffeine-free tea bag to a cup, top it up with hot...
While all dried chamomile teas have a calming effect, this Tazo Tea tea blend goes the extra mile and includes rose petals and other herbs for extra relaxation and health benefits. Perfect for a steaming mug of chill before bedtime, we can definitely recommend this chamomile herbal tea if you’re feeling a little wound up.
At a glance
- Teas and rose petals for extra relaxation and sleep help.
- A popular brand with many positive online reviews.
- Tea bags for easy preparation.
- Non-GMO project verified.
- Naturally caffeine-free.
Our favourite bedtime choice
- FLAVOR: Yogi Soothing Caramel Bedtime tea combines floral Chamomile with sweet...
- BENEFITS: Chamomile Flower, Skullcap and L-Theanine combine in this relaxing...
- ORGANIC: Made with Organic Ingredients and Non-GMO Project Verified.
- CONTENTS: Caffeine free, Vegan, Kosher, Gluten free, No Artificial Flavors or...
For some people, having a little extra flavor makes the camomile experience even better, and this Yogi bedtime tea delivers just that. Combining floral chamomile with sweet rooibos, caramel and vanilla flavors, online reviews say that this comforting chamomile tea really helps relax and feel chilled out before a good night’s sleep.
At a glance
- Delicious flavor with sweet rooibos, caramel and vanilla.
- Comforting chamomile herbal tea with Skullcap and L-Theanine to help calm the body and mind to fall asleep.
- Made with organic ingredients and Non-GMO project verified.
- 16 individually-wrapped chamomile tea bags for freshness.
Our favourite loose-leaf choice
- 🌼 CHAMOMILE TEA PROMOTES SLEEP - Did you know humans have used chamomile tea...
- 🌼 WHOLE CHAMOMILE FLOWERS - The first thing you will notice about our organic...
- 🌼 FREE GIFT - We want to make sure you get the most relaxation from your...
- 🌼 MAKES 240 CUPS OF CALMING DELICIOUSNESS - This 4-pack of 4 Ounce resealable...
For the ultimate loose leaf, natural and organic chamomile experience, this generous pack of loose leaf tea contains pure chamomile flowers for a strong-but-soothing cup of tea. 100% natural and organic, it has a smooth and wild taste that only loose leaf herbal tea can bring. And, as a little bonus you even get a free ebook once you order.
At a glance
- 4 X 4oz pouches that can make up to 240 cups.
- Natural, organic chamomile tea, made from 100% pure chamomile flowers.
- Fresh, delicious and deep loose leaf tea.
- Free e-book.
Our favourite tasty choice
No tea-list should be complete without one of the most famous brands in the world. Twinings’ whole chamomile herbal tea is the best-tasting on our list and includes softly sweet notes of honey and vanilla. Made of 100% natural ingredients, you don’t need to worry about any strange additives.
At a glance
- 100% natural ingredients.
- Delicious taste with vanilla and honey.
- From a leading global tea brand.
- Affordable price for 20 chamomile tea bags.
When should I drink chamomile tea?
You can drink chamomile tea any time you are feeling stressed or anxious during the day, but for the best results, drink it about 30-60 minutes before going to bed so that you can enjoy a restful night’s sleep.
Is chamomile a herbal tea?
Yes. Unlike green tea or black tea (which are leaves) chamomile herbal tea is made from dried chamomile flowers and is considered to be a herbal tea.
Can I drink chamomile tea every day?
It is safe to drink chamomile tea every day and the accumulated positive effects of doing so can help out in the long term. Side effects are minimal, but if you suspect anything, always check with your doctor.
Should I drink loose leaf tea or use tea bags?
This is entirely up to you. Loose leaf tea usually comes in larger volumes, but takes more effort to prepare. Chamomile tea bags are usually faster and easier. However, you really can’t go wrong as long as you’re drinking chamomile tea!
Are there any side effects?
Generally, chamomile tea is safe to drink, but in some small cases, there can be allergic reactions. If you experience any effects of drinking the tea, stop immediately or consult your doctor.
Does chamomile have caffeine?
The best chamomile teas are 100% caffeine-free, meaning that you can enjoy it any time of the day without worrying about feeling awake. This also means that it’s suitable for children, so feel free to give them a sip to try.
You are now a chamomile expert
Now that you know everything about the benefits of chamomile tea and which ones are the best on the market, you can start your journey to feeling great, sleeping better and enjoying a calmer way of life. It really is a fantastic herbal tea that has centuries of use behind it, and with so many different brands out there, you’ll definitely find the one that works for you.
Last update on 2020-11-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API