Table of Contents
Cold brew coffee has been getting quite a buzz around it lately, and not just because it packs a strong kick of caffeine compared to regular coffee, but also because it’s a super easy way to make coffee, it’s ready to go first thing in the morning before you’ve even opened your eyes since you can brew a large batch at once and use it all week, and it’s also going to save you money.
If you’re someone who drinks a lot of cold brews and iced coffees on the go, those few bucks at a time are really going to add up. Making cold brew at home is easy, it just requires a little bit of planning ahead. Not only that, but thanks to this cold brew maker by the brand Takeya, the entire process is even easier than it used to be.
Making Cold Brew Coffee The Hard Way?
Even the ‘hard way’ to make cold brew coffee is relatively easy, it’s just a matter of mixing coffee grounds and water in a pitcher, waiting about a day, and then filtering the grounds from the water. What you’re left with is a strong coffee concentrate, that you can water-down to taste, or even just drink it as is for a very potent kick. You can use it to make lattes (if you’re into mixing green tea and coffee, you can even use it to make a coffee/matcha tea latte.)
The part that’s kind of a pain is just filtering through the grounds. You can use a normal kitchen strainer with paper towel or cheese cloth to filter through, depending on how fine the mesh is in your strainer, or you can use coffee filter in some kind of a pour over contraption. Either way, it takes extra stuff, there’s more things to clean, and there’s an easier way that’ll pay for itself right quick, and that’s the Takeya Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker.
Now, they call it an iced coffee maker, but it’s worth pointing out that there’s a distinction between iced coffee and cold brew. Cold brew is what we’ve been talking about so far, where you add the coffee grounds to water that has not been boiled, and you let it sit.It can keep for days or even a week in your fridge, and won’t go stale quickly like normally brewed coffee since you’re using time isntead of heat to extract the goodness from the beans. With iced coffee, on the other hand, you’re simply brewing coffee as you normally would and then adding ice to it. It’s quite a bit different from cold brew, and I’m not really sure how this device would help with the process of making ice coffee… but it certainly helps a great deal when it comes to cold brew, that’s for sure.
The Best Cold Brew Maker
This is probabally the best option out there for people who want to brew their own cold coffee at home. It’s not very expensive, it’s well-made, and it just takes away that little extra resistance in the process, making things a lot easier. Not only is it easier than the “traditional” way of making cold brewed coffee, it’s also much easier than making regular coffee each morning, since you just dump in some beans and water, pop it in the fridge, then pour some out each morning as you go.
With this thing, making coffee for the whole week is easier than making coffee for one morning with the traditional methods.
Once your ground coffee beans have sat in the water in this device for long enough, you can simply remove the filter in the middle, dump it out, give it a quick rinse, and you’re all done. It’s less work than making coffee one time with a coffee maker.
After that, all you’ve got to do is add however much water you want, some ice cubes if you’d like, and whatever sort of creamer or sweeteners you may enjoy.
- As we mentioned already, it just takes away a couple of extra steps from making coffee any other way, and those extra few minutes come in really handy in the morning.
- Your cold brewed coffee can easily be adjusted for strength by dilluting it with different amounts of water.
- It’s super easy to clean, and there are no disposable filters to throw in the garbage.
- Your coffee beans aren’t ‘cooked’ by boiling water, so they’ll stay tasting fresh longer.
- It’s a totally different taste experience.
- This unit is BPA free and dishwasher safe.
- It’s a pretty straightforward item, it does what it’s supposed to do. The only real apparent downside is that it only holds about 4 servings at a time, so you may find yourself having to brew a couple of batches each week. Still, once again, it’s easier than any other way to make coffee, and since you can make it the night before, it’s still one less task off your plate the next morning.
- Cold coffee is great, but sometimes you just want a warm cup. You can definitely heat up your cold brew, either on the stove, in the microwave, or simply by adding hot water to dilute it instead of cold water. None the less, if hot coffee is your plan, then this device isn’t ideal – but is that really a con? It seems unfair to knock a COLD brew coffee maker for not being perfect for making hot coffee, doesn’t it?
In any case, if you’re looking for a cold brew maker, hopefully this Takeya review has helped to shine some light on the topic. If you have any questions that we didn’t address in this article, please do get in touch so that we can include the missing information – but really – there’s not a lot to this thing, it’s simply, and it just works like it’s supposed to. If you want to save the money, you can make this drink just as good using cheese cloth to filter the grounds through, it’s just more work and more clean up.