Located in Portland, OR., Stash Tea laid down their roots in 1972. Back then, they’d never dreamed that their tea would one day be enjoyed all around the world.
After decades of offering quality tea, they’ve never lost touch with their small town beginnings and strive to align themselves with the Portland vibe. Ten years ago, Stash Tea opened their doors to the public, taking the opportunity to share their love of tea.
Stash Tea and their Mission
Using natural ingredients to create specialty teas, this brand is dedicated to continuing a 5,000 year old tea tradition by offering a wide variety of flavors. In 1972 this tea company operated from an old Victorian-style house, selling their bulk products at local, natural food stores.
Bagged teas and special blends came onto the scene in 1975, which was when they started selling a line of traditional blends and herbal teas to fine restaurants and via mail order. Headquartered in Tigard, Oregon, Stash Tea is now one of the largest specialty tea companies in the United States.
Their products are available in grocery stores, tea and coffee shops, natural food shops and this tea company still runs a mail order catalog, along with online sales.
How Stash Tea got their name
According to folklore, tea was a valuable commodity in earlier centuries and was transported by clipper ship. The ship’s Captain always had his own private stash of the finest teas, which they called ‘private reserve’.
Today, the word ‘stash’ is used when describing anything stowed away due to its precious value, which is what inspired this tea company to use it as their business name.
Social and Environmental Responsibility
Stash Tea has always had a focus on being environmentally and socially aware, balancing these responsibilities with economic reality. With a local and global frame of mind, this tea company prides itself in being a green and socially conscious organization.
- Garden Selection by Stash Tea – The tea gardens that supply Stash Tea with their botanicals are carefully chosen for their high quality teas, herbs and spices as well as the way they treat their workers fairly. With exacting standards, this tea company ensures that they are offering products that are 100% natural, USDA and QAI certified organic.
- Renewable Energy and Transportation – With a commitment to renewable energy and purchasing green power through Portland General Electric, Stash Tea also replaced old fixtures in their plant with energy efficient lighting in 2005. This upgrade saved nearly 50,000 kWh annually since then and has provided quality lighting for their staff.
- Stash Tea encourages their employees to use public transport and pays half the cost of monthly bus passes.
- Recyclable Paper and Packaging – Reusing and recycling things such as office supplies, newspapers and packaging helps this tea company reduce their global footprint, while swapping out foam peanuts and bubble wrap for recycled paper used in packaging over 12 years ago has contributed to waste reduction and alleviating environmental concerns.
- The recycled packaging materials are sourced from sustainably managed forests, assisting with Stash Tea’s efforts to eliminate over-wrapping and to provide 100% recyclable tea boxes.
There are over 250 varieties of delicious teas and blends to choose from at Stash Tea.
Meyer Lemon Herbal Tea
Meyer lemons are a cross between mandarin oranges and lemons, which are blended with hibiscus, orange peel, rosehips and lemongrass to create a burst of flavor without being overly tart.
Whether you enjoy this tea hot or iced, the freshness of the juicy, tangy lemon aftertaste and aroma will be a constant delight.
Double Bergamot Earl Grey Tea
Many Earl Grey fanatics state that this Double Bergamot Earl Grey tea is their favorite, with the balanced flavors of fine black tea and citrus notes of bergamot making it a perfect cup in the afternoon or evening.
This tea is full bodied and is considered medium to high in caffeine, so don’t steep for too long or it can become bitter. You can even enjoy this tea over ice, so double the strength when making it.
Acai Berry Herbal Tea
A fruity blend made with natural acai berry, hibiscus, blackberry and blackcurrant flavors, this tea also includes licorice root, rosehips and lemongrass for a sweet, soothing and relaxing experience.
Suitable for a chilly day indoors or as an iced tea on warmer days, this tea needs less added sweeteners than most.
Stash Tea might well become one of your favorite go to beverages, with many varieties and blends to choose from.
Along with tea wares, samplers and gift sets, this tea company is focused on providing a nice twist on your average blends and it’s nice to know that you’re dealing with an environmentally responsible company.
Last update on 2021-04-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API