Give your classic shortbread cookies a healthful kick toward greener pastures with this green tea cookies recipe. This shortbread includes matcha green tea powder, giving the cookies a distinct green color, fun for the kids and a fun way to give your dessert plate some color. Get creative with these green tea cookies.
While its well known cookies are not the healthiest thing we could be eating, who can resist from time to time? These matcha green tea cookies are the talk of the neighborhood!
Green Tea Cookies using Matcha
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- ½ cup Icing sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons of Matcha green tea powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp of vanilla extract)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter combined with the confectioners sugar and regular white sugar.
- Add the vanilla to the mixture.
- In a new mixing bowl sift together the flour, matcha powder and salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until smooth.
- Once dough forms, remove and place on lightly floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin roll out the dough to about ¼” thick.
- Use your favorite cookie cutter to shape cookies (for even baking use a 2” round cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes. Or until golden on the bottom.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
Try jazzing up your cookies by garnishing them before baking. Sprinkle black sesame seeds or lightly carve a design in them to personalize them to your taste.
Include them in your holiday baking for a vibrant green addition without food coloring or frosting. These can be a fun way for kids to get introduced to the more acquired taste of green tea and matcha powder specifically.
These cookies are sure to be a hit, and a great conversation starter; after all how often do you see green shortbread?
Let us know what you think. Try this recipe out and tell us about your experience with it, did your kids love or loath it?
Show us how you incorporated this unique green tea matcha cookie into your holiday baking. Most importantly, let the community know about this gem, let’s make green tea cookies the norm!