The wonderful thing about tea is that it can transcend all boundaries and bring people together, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that famous people enjoy a brew to keep them going, like the rest of us. Read on to discover celebrities who love a cup of tea and what types they prefer.
- Celebrities who Love a Cup of Tea
- The Music Scene
- Famous Quotes about Tea
- More Tea Lovers from Across the Spectrum
Celebrities who Love a Cup of Tea
You could be forgiven for assuming that all British people love tea, seeing as their history is loaded with tea stories and things such as afternoon tea and high-end accessories, along with many movies and tv shows depicting a variety of tea sipping scenarios.
Bond – James Bond
Sean Connery – Famous for his roles as James Bond, Sean Connery has often been photographed with a cup of tea in his hand, but in 2001 he filmed a commercial for German company Teekanne that become one of the most popular ads in that year.
Bringing his signature smile, he got the message out and raised the profile for this German tea company.
Pierce Brosnan – Also popular for 007 roles, this actor was voted sexiest man alive many times, but his turn as an avid lover of Lipton’s Yellow Label tea showed the fun side of his personality.
Daniel Craig – Although this actor had been in many movies before he took on the role of James Bond, it was this character that shot him into the realm of super-stardom.
In one interview, he advised that his fans would often offer to buy him vodka martinis as early as 8am, but his response says it all: “I’d rather have a nice cup of tea.”
The Music Scene
Lady Ga Ga
The flamboyant and controversial star is a lover of tea and even carries around her own personal China tea service wherever she goes, referring to it as her “comfort blankie.”
She once advised “Listen, I love tea so much, when I have tea, I feel like I can think clearly and give an intelligent interview. Right now, I’m waiting for my Tea.”
This rocker has a wild past but when asked about what he loves to drink, he advised “I have a bit of fruit for breakfast and a cup of Yorkshire Gold tea. I f***ing love Yorkshire Gold.”
For his 65th birthday he sipped on Honey tea from his Mary Rose cup and Saucer. “It’s not very Rock ‘n’ Roll but it’s like magic potion to me” he quipped.
In the Rolling Stones song “Live with me” Mick famously sang the lyrics with tongue in cheek – “I got nasty habits; I take tea at three.” This made fun of how stuffy the Brits could be about the rules of proper tea drinking.
One Brit who wasn’t such a fan, he refused to drink regular tea after being served an awful cup that had been brewing for seven years, at the ripe old age of 5 when his parents took him on a Thames boat trip. Apart from that, he was apparently quite partial to Japanese green tea.
Along with other singers, Christina enjoys a cup of green tea, preferring it over a latte to help warm up the vocal chords before performing, as well as the added benefit of helping with weight loss.
The lead singer of The Smiths advised once, when asked about his love of tea, “I decided to try to have a complete day without tea. I was quite shaken.”
Mostly famous for his stint in Culture Club in the 80’s, Boy George once stated cheekily, “I would rather have a cup of tea than sex.”
According to Lennon’s widow Yoko Ono, they often bickered playfully about how to make a proper cup of tea.
Preferring English Breakfast tea, Lennon knew when Yoko put the teabag in the cup after the water was added, saying “You are supposed to put the bag in first and the hot water over it so that the tea won’t get cold”.
After her disastrous performance on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve in 2017, the singer blamed herself for not having her beloved tea beforehand. She famously blurted onstage, “I just wanna take a sip of tea, if they’ll let me…They told me there would be tea. Oh! It’s a disaster!”
The famous American guitarist who was also inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame was a lover of tea and one of the last photos taken of Jimi shows him enjoying a cup with a full tea service.
The talented and infamous singer/songwriter is another musician who loves his tea and has a fine collection of antique tea sets which he continues to add to when touring around the world.
Famous Quotes about Tea
- C.S. Lewis – Beloved author of The Chronicles of Narnia: “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
- Gary Snyder – Beat Generation author and poet: “They drink coffee at dawn, beer after work. And those who stay clean, just appreciate things. At breakfast they have milk and juice at night. There are those who do both, they drink tea.”
- Tom Hanks – Actor: “I had to give up coffee because I was drinking so many lattes. I was putting away half a gallon of milk in a day…I found maybe I should do something to my diet so I gave up coffee and I’m drinking tea – delightful PG Tips…”
- Hugh Laurie – Actor, on his role as Dr. House: “To drink a cup of tea and put two sugars in and open a door and answer a telephone becomes incredibly time-consuming, … Every scene for me is about, where am I going to park the cane? When I pick this up, where am I going to put the cane? That’s a physical constraint.”
- Rachel Weisz – Actor: “I do like a proper builder’s cup of tea; a strong, straightforward brew that keeps working men going.”
- George Orwell – Author: “Tea is one of the mainstays of civilization in this country.”
- Benedict Cumberbatch – Actor: “Every once in a while I like a milky builder’s tea with a couple of sugars… on a cold night there is nothing quite like it.”
- Angela Lansbury – Actor, well-known for Murder She Wrote series: “I run a real British household, let me tell you. I drink very strong tea and I still buy tins of sardines.”
- David Walliams – Writer/Actor in Little Britain, from his book Mr Stink: “In Britain, a cup of tea is the answer to every problem. Fallen off your bicycle? Nice cup of tea. Your house has been destroyed by a meteorite? Nice cup of tea and a biscuit.”
- Billy Connolly – Comedian: “My idea of a nice break is lying in bed being brought cups of tea.”
More Tea Lovers from Across the Spectrum
Considered a theatrical chameleon, Johnny chose a green tea diet to lose weight for his role as a vampire in ‘Dark Shadows’. He also thanked the London police for giving him a cup of tea when he was arrested.
When filming The Iron Lady, portraying Margaret Thatcher meant sipping green tea, as the former Prime Minister did to boost her energy. When she told the cast and crew that she loved the tea, they all gifted her copious amounts from Fortnum and Mason.
President Barrack Obama
Apparently Barrack Obama prefers fruit tea over coffee, especially berry flavored, whether hot or cold. He has also been seen taking iced tea wherever he goes.
The Aussie actor teamed up with Yorkshire Tea to have a blend named after him, called “Crowe’s Tea.” The tea bags are apparently proving to be a hit.
Check out the video made with Alan Rickman, famous for his role as Snape in the Harry Potter series, called “Epic Tea Time with Alan Rickman.”
Tea spans all nations and cultures, so it’s one way to connect with your favorite stars, even if it’s just knowing that they too love to drink a nice cup of tea to invigorate, soothe and inspire great work.